Spectacular dinner party centre piece! We've boned out most of the leg for easier carving but left the shank bone in so it still looks like a lamb leg. Then we've wrapped the lot in our delicious streaky pancetta (the long, thin one not the round one). The pancetta will crisp as it cooks and the fat will render out adding flavour to the lamb.
Roast, rest and carve. Each leg is about 2.0 kg and will feed 7-8 people.
Lambs at the moment are Dorpers from chemical-free, New Horizon farms in the Riverina, NSW.
New Horizon is a group of farms in the Riverina area led by Paul Burkinshaw who are dedicated to chemical-free farming of Dorper sheep. Dorper sheep are self-shedding which is ideal for Australian conditions as the sheep don’t require shearing and are less likely to suffer the problems associated with wool and heat.
New Horizon are self-audited and membership is dependent on a adhering to a strict set of guidelines that make chemical use and intervention the last resort. We generally choose not to deal with groups of farms because it can be hard for us to visit all the farms and really know what’s going on. However, our experience is that the transparency and principles practiced by the New Horizon group, along with the quality of the produce, warrant an exception.
Also, the benefit of ealing with a group of experienced farmers is the higher likelihood of greater consistency and predictability. The farms coordinate breeding and supply in a way that ensures:
- sustainable returns for all the farms in the group;
- supports the cycles and rest periods required in chemical-free land management;
- consistent supply of high quality lamb.
We buy whole lambs, mutton and hogget seasonally on a rotating basis from a number of farms. Your cut will come from whichever lamb is available when you order. The lamb we source is:
- packed with the farm, breed and certification clearly labelled;
- dry aged for between two to six weeks, depending on the cut;
- lambs are 4 - 12 months old;
- hormone and antibiotic-free;
- grass-fed and finished on chemical-free pasture;
- a mix of breeds including Suffolk, Texel and Dorper;
- from NSW farms.
The producers we work with are entirely transparent about their processes and welcome all questions.