Wild ale & wild honey ham glaze - uniquely Australian


250 ml jar - enough for a whole ham.

Treat your ham to a delicious dressing of the only genuinely wild ham glaze in Australia - made with Wildflower Brewing's Gold Australian Wild Ale and Malfroys Gold Wild Honey. We're so proud of this collaboration. Wildflower Brewery and Malfroys Gold are two inspiring, much-lauded, local producers who are deeply committed to regenerative agriculture and their gorgeous ingredients make this a unique, Australian glaze. 

Other ingredients in the glaze are fresh orange juice, Dijon mustard and brown sugar. Baste, baste and baste again as the ham cooks and it will have a crisp, sweet, golden skin.

Read on for more about Wildflower Brewing & Blending and Malfroys Gold Wild Honey.  

Make it easy on yourself!
Let us skin and score your ham ready for glazing.
Try our glazing instructions
Or we'll glaze your ham for you (available for pick up orders only).

Wildflower Gold Australian Wild Ale 

The Ale that Topher Boehm at Wildflower gave us for our glaze is an 80/20 blend of different batches of Wildflower's Gold Australian Wild Ale beer which is made with foraged wild yeast, naturally occurring souring bacteria, malted barley, raw wheat and water - all sourced from NSW - with hops and brewers yeast and with an ABV of 5.5%. It's a handmade product with wild ingredients and, just like wine, each batch varies slightly.

80% is from the 42nd batch of Gold that spent three weeks soaking in the spent skins of Tyrrell's Semillon wine grapes after they were used to make St Florence 2019: Semillon. The other 20% is the base Gold beer from the 43rd batch. 

These two beers have been in barrel #1707 for only three months together (which is pretty young for Wildflower). Barrel #1707 is a French Oak hogshead from Murray Smith of Canoblas smith in Orange, NSW. It was only the 13th barrel filled at Wildflower Brewery and has been used three times before. 

Malfroys Gold Wild Honey

(Order your honey here.) Seasonal, wild honey, unfiltered and cold spun from frames in organically managed hives by the wonderful Tim Malfroy, second generation Apiarist and honey master. No heat above ‘beehive temperature’ is applied in the extracting or bottling stage, thereby retaining all the most nutritious materials and elements.

Malfroys Gold Wild Honey is produced by the bees in the ancient World Heritage listed Greater Blue Mountains area. The apiaries are located in a diverse mix of eco-regions, providing an incredible diversity of nectar and pollen sources for the bees to forage and the resulting honey has a complex, intense and ever-changing flavour profile.

The protected area is over one million hectares in size, rising from sea level to over 1000m in altitude and is fantastically rich in melliferous wildflowers (more than 1,500 flowering species have been recorded and 13% of the worlds Eucalypt species occur here naturally). Importantly, and due to the large foraging radius of each bee colony, the honey is a distillation of the nectar from woodland, open forest, closed forest (rainforest), heathland, swampland, stream communities and the hanging swamps that occur on vertical cliff faces.

Due to this incredible diversity, no single jar of honey is the same; each speaks of the utterly unique landscape of the Blue Mountains.

'Our beekeeping practices surpass the national organic and international Demeter biodynamic guidelines for apiculture. We call the honey ‘Wild’ for this reason, as it is produced in an entirely natural way; by wild bees in a wild environment. The Warré hives we use are made from local salvaged timber and are designed to mimic a tree hollow, the perfect home for a honeybee colony. 

Wild honey is superior to all other honeys as it captures the unique terroir of the region in which it has been produced, is bee-friendly and ultimately more natural than other commercially available honey because the comb is produced entirely by the bees. In contrast, most commercially available honey has been produced from re-used or plastic combs and has been homogenised, micro-filtered, and pasteurised, thereby losing all discernible taste and health benefits..'

Go to Wild Honey to find out more about the amazing wildflowers and landscape of the Greater Blue Mountains and Natural Beekeeping for more about this ethical approach to apiculture that focuses on bee health over honey yield.

 Read about our trip to visit Malfroys Gold hives.

Instructions for hazing your glam
Allow 40 minutes to an hour.

Left Continue shopping
Your Order

You have no items in your cart