Approximately 1.6-1.8 kg.
Here's the recipe that produced this photo - braised lamb shoulder with beans.
This 'banjo' cut is lovely to braise or slow roast till the meat falls off the bone. There are loads of lovely lamb shoulder recipe, but here are two we like that are versatile and eat well through all seasons. Vince's slow roasted lamb shoulder with paprika and honey - this is Moorlands Lamb farmer, Vince Heffernan's recipe that we put in our book, The Ethical Omnivore.
We buy whole lambs, mutton and hogget seasonally on a rotating basis from a number of farms. Your cut will come from whichever lamb is available when you order. The lamb we source is:
- packed with the farm, breed and certification clearly labelled;
- dry aged for between two to six weeks, depending on the cut;
- lambs are 4 - 12 months old;
- hormone and antibiotic-free;
- grass-fed and finished on chemical-free pasture;
- a mix of breeds including Suffolk, Texel and Dorper;
- from NSW farms.
The producers we work with are entirely transparent about their processes and welcome all questions.