Kidney fat rendered from the pasture-fed and finished whole beef bodies we source directly from regeneratively-managed NSW farms. Some farms are certified organic and all of them are regeneratively managed.
Suet is hard with a high melting point so excellent for frying and for pastry making. Read all about it in the wonderful Jennifer McLagan's book, Fat - an appreciation of a misunderstood ingredient.
We buy whole bodies of beef on a rotating basis from a number of farms. The beef we source is:
- packed with the farm, certification (if applicable) and breed clearly labelled;
- dry aged for between two to six weeks, depending on the cut;
- minimum 24 months old and could be up to 36 months or older (most beef is yearling);
- hormone and antibiotic-free;
- grass-fed and finished on chemical-free pasture (except in conditions such as drought where there is insufficient grass available when silage or sprouted grains may be used);
- a mix of breeds including Black and Scottish Angus, Belted Galloway and Wagyu;
- from NSW and Victorian farms.
The producers we work with are entirely transparent about their processes and welcome all questions.
Photo: Alan Benson.