We only buy whole animals and each lamb only has four legs so so, if shanks are sold out, try neck or lamb shoulder on the bone cut into chunks.
Shanks are the classic lamb braising cut with delicious marrow, similar to beef or veal osso buco.
Or you can just chuck them in the slow cooker for four or five hours with half a bottle of wine, half a head of garlic, fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and whatever vegetables you find in the fridge. You can't go wrong.
We buy whole lambs, mutton and hogget seasonally on a rotating basis from a number of farms. Your cut will come from whichever lamb is available when you order. The lamb we source is:
- packed with the farm, breed and certification clearly labelled;
- dry aged for between two to six weeks, depending on the cut;
- lambs are 4 - 12 months old;
- hormone and antibiotic-free;
- grass-fed and finished on chemical-free pasture;
- a mix of breeds including Suffolk, Texel and Dorper;
- from NSW farms.
The producers we work with are entirely transparent about their processes and welcome all questions.